The double title, in agreement with the few documents of the founding, shows that originally there were two churches in Sale distinct: San Siro was the original church, located outside the village, Santa Maria a dependency within the country. In the church of Santa Maria June 24, 1165 was signed the peace treaty between Pavia e Tortona, following the destruction of the city walls by Emperor Federico Barbarossa, a dimostrazione che quest’ultima aveva già acquistato una certa importanza.
Tra fine XIV e inizi XV secolo, in un periodo di pace e prosperità, la comunità parrocchiale decise di ricostruire ed ampliare S. Maria e proprio a quest’epoca risale l’edificio attuale. Esso ha pianta ad aula, articolata in tre navate. La copertura è a volte a crociera costolonate. La facciata è a capanna, però solo la parte destra è originale, poiché nel 1704 l’antico campanile crollò coinvolgendo nella distruzione la parte sinistra. Fu ricostruito il campanile esterno alla chiesa, in foggia settecentesca e successivamente fu restaurata la parte di facciata distrutta, probabilmente inserendo then the two-light windows on either side of the central portal. Inside, numerous fragments of fresco, especially the late fifteenth century, testify to the old decoration. Among these are those of the presbytery. These paintings were executed between 1460 and 1470 by an artist of Lombard culture still unknown, called Master of Maggi, the name of the client family to which belongs the crest with the lion rampant on a red background that appears in the vault. In 800 he went to church a slow decline that culminated with the abolition of the parish. Only in the year 1980 he began the restoration campaign that led to the discovery of the frescoes and the restoration of the original buoyancy of the church.
0 comments:
Post a Comment